THERMAL is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of considering the thermal effects for a steel building or structure. Specifically, the appropriate maximum design temperature change, the change of length or stress as applicable, and the maximum building or structure length either without or between expansion joints is determined. There is also a "General Thermal Effects Calculator" which can be used to selectively determine any of the analysis parameters, as well as a temperature converter which can be used to convert from oC (Celsius) to oF (Fahrenheit).
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
1. This program is based on the following references:
- "Expansion Joints in Buildings" - Technical Report No. 65 - by: Federal Construction Council for National Academy of Sciences, 1974
- Steel Construction Manual - 13th Edition (pages 2-31 to 2-33 and page 17-23) - by: American Instritute of Steel Construction (AISC), 2005
- "Expansion Joints: Where, When and How" - by: James M Fisher, S.E. - published in Modern Steel Construction Magazine, April 2005
2. This program uses the recommendations from Section II.A of Reference A (from above) to determine the appropriate maximum design temperature change, DT, expressed in oF. This value may then be utilized in either a 2-D or 3-D computer analysis model to determine the overall effects of the temperature change on the building or structure.
3. This program uses the criteria from Section II.B.1.a of Reference A (from above) to determine the need for building or structure expansion joints.
* THERMAL download link provides freeware version of the software.
STIFFNER is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of analysis of steel beams subject to concentrated loads.
Quick and simplified torsion analysis of W, S, M, and HP steel beams.
ROOFDECK is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of analysis and design of roofs with steel deck.
BASEPLT9 is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of analysis of steel column base plates.
ASCE705I is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of determining ice loading due to freezing rain on structural steel members per the ASCE 7-05 Code.
GSA Building is the ultimate building design software, steel structure design software and steel structure analysis program.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.
Submit a review using your Facebook ID